The Mac citadel (Tuyen Quang citadel) is located on the territory of Group 8, Tan Quang ward, Tuyen Quang city. The citadel was built in 1552, during the Mac Dynasty and repaired in the early Nguyen Dynasty (nineteenth century).
The citadel has an important military position, located on the banks of the Lo River and is located on the convenient waterway traffic axis, once associated with many important historical events of Tuyen Quang province.
Tuyen Quang ancient citadel is the place to witness many important historical events of the revolutionary countryside of Tuyen Quang, from the heroic fight of the Kinh, Tay, Dao and Cao Lan ethnic groups against the French colonialists in 1884, In the days of the historic August 1945 uprising, the Japanese fascists had to surrender and completely liberated Tuyen Quang town. During the resistance war against the French colonialists, Tuyen Quang citadel twice witnessed the defeat of the French army in 1947 and 1949.
On March 20, 1961, for the first time since the Government of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam moved to Hanoi, officials, soldiers, and ethnic people in Tuyen Quang province were honored to welcome Uncle Ho back to visit. revolutionary homeland Tuyen Quang. He had a talk with the entire people at the stadium (now Nguyen Tat Thanh Square) north of Tho Son mountain right in the ancient citadel.
Tuyen Quang ancient citadel was still quite intact until the end of the twentieth century, during the construction and development of Tuyen Quang city, some roads of the city ran through the position of the ancient citadel, so now Tuyen Quang ancient citadel was destroyed. divided, many sections of the wall no longer exist. There are two gates left in the north and west. The only remaining section of the wall is located on the corner of Binh Thuan and Gate Lap streets, more than 140m long. So far, Tuyen Quang Citadel is a symbol of the history of Tuyen Quang land and has been recognized as a national historical - cultural relic.